Lindsay's Palace

Posted by Mike


About this time ago last year I began work on a sizable project. The arrival of my first child warranted something very special. After some consideration, I decided that I would build a crib. Growing up, I spent countless hours in the shop with my Grandfather and learned a great deal about woodworking. I figured this project would be a great opportunity to get back in the shop and build something very special with Grandpa. Last July, the crib was nothing but a pile of boards and a bit of ambition. Unfortunately, I fell a bit behind schedule and this was something that I refused to cut corners on. I was about 85% done and then came Christmas, New Years, and the birth of my daughter. For the first 2 months after Lindsay was born, I was a little side-tracked and will admit that the crib didn't even cross my mind. Needless to say, I remained very busy throughout the spring and summer, but managed to make it to the shop about every other week or so. This past Sunday we put on the final coat of polyurethane and the crib finally arrived home on Monday. That night Grandpa and I sat down to enjoy a celebratory beer and reminisce about the project. Building the crib was a very nice challenge, and when you have a great mentor, woodworking also offers a great deal of fun and relaxation. Overall, it was great to spend time in the shop with my Grandpa, especially on such a special project, one that I hope will be passed on down through the generations.

4 comments:

  1. sherri and Adam said...

    Wow Mike, that looks awesome! She looks a bit upset in it though, LOL. You did a great job! It was fun seeing you guys and chatting when you came in for pops, before big project days, hehehe. I kind of had a heads up on what was going on with the palace, lol. Anyways, it looks great and I am sure it will be passed down!

  2. Dawn said...

    Ooh Mike, first of all love the new layout! It looks fabulous.

    2nd - The crib turned out great. Lindsay won't care that it took you almost a year to finish it. And how neat that you were able to do it with Grandpa. That is sweet!

  3. Mike said...

    Thank you both! It was a very fun project.

  4. Joe said...

    It turned out awesome!!! I am sure you are glad to have it completed :)